Our 2022-23 School Motto:
Achieve Your Best!
Greetings Jr/Sr HS Families,
If you have not already, please check your child's School Tool Acct in the next few weeks for assignment completion, marking period grades, attendance, etc... If you have any questions on your Schooltool login, please contact Molly Thurston-Chase thurston-chasem@
Also, an item to note we will conduct our Fall safety drills in the next several weeks (Fire & Lockdown drills).
A few announcements...
Open House/Curriculum Night
- On September 21 from 6:00-8:00pm. Teachers will be in their rooms for Meet & Greet, Syllabus & Curriculum Map share. At the Jr/Sr HS entrance we will have student schedules and room maps for families to follow at your leisure. Students are welcome to accompany their families at Open House.
- We plan to have all our Jr & Sr HS Curriculum maps updated and posted on the HS website by the beginning of October.
- Also, we will be in contact soon with all families of 12th grade students regarding college & career planning and FAFSA information. Mrs. Ca
rnicelli will send an email to Senior families on the details. We will provide you with an overview of information on the College Application process via Naviance and FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) on September 21st at 5:30pm in the Auditorium. If your child is planning on attending college next year, please attend this informational meeting as all students must complete a FAFSA for college tuition aid.
- School Pictures are planned for Thursday, September 22 in the morning for all grades 7-12 students. Please use the information/website below to pre-order your picture packages. Print forms were distributed to students on September 15 or you can print another copy from the attached. Picture make-up day is November 4.
- Website: www.inter-state.com/
Order Code: 70185C
This code is only good for pre-purchasing your pictures and will be open until noon on September 23.
- Please use this link for our Fall Sports Schedule. Our school community is cordially invited to each game. Please come out and support our student-athletes.
- Our 2022 homecoming games are on 9/30 & 10/1, use this link to locate games and times. Our homecoming dances will be on Sat, 10/1. Jr HS (grades 7-8) from 5:00-6:30pm and Sr HS (grades 9-12) from 7:00-9:00pm in the HS gym. Tickets will be sold the week prior to the dance.
- Also, if you are interested in supporting our teams by volunteering at the Booster Club concession stand, please use this link to sign up.
Educational Initiative #1: MTSS (Multi-Tier Student Support) Programming
- Teachers will collect individual student data on progress towards the NYS power/priority standards in each content area.
- Academic, behavioral, and attendance data will be reviewed and analyzed every 2-3 weeks in all classes. Academic interventions will then be determined to assist students.
- The MTSS system will be used to analyze overall student progress every 2-3 weeks and reported to student families every 6 weeks to ensure each student is showing growth.
- Interventions will be collected and analyzed (each marking period) to determine if the supports at each Tier level are meeting student needs.
- Other measures & goals:
2. Our goal is to move all students to proficiency on the power/priority standards through weekly data collection, differentiation, and interventions as needed monitored via the MTSS data collection process.
Educational Initiative #2: SEL (Social & Emotional Learning) Programming
- NYS Education Dept Initiative – For additional information… http://www.southerncayuga.org/
- We will implement a social emotional learning curriculum for all students which incorporates fostering high expectations, teaches inclusive curriculum according to the NYS standards, and engage in ongoing professional development during the 2022-23 school year.
- Teachers will implement a SEL/character education program, Second Step at the 7-8 grade level, and Character Strong at the 9-12 grade levels one to two times per month. Students will also participate in character education activities during advisory to continue building skills.
- Teachers will complete the BASC-3 BESS rating scale, by October 14, 2022 to measure the need/effectiveness for SEL programming. The scores will then be compared to the BASC-3 BESS teachers complete at the middle and end of the year.
SC Jr/Sr HS Community Advisory Council (CAC)
Background: A large part of our success at SC Jr/Sr HS is tied directly to home-school communication and parental support of our school mission and initiatives. The CAC is designed to advise us with strategies that the school staff can assist with the home-school connection.
Charge: To support academics at home, To make suggestions for the best ways to communicate with parents, To discuss academic improvement initiatives.
Meetings: The following Tuesdays... Nov 8, 2022; Feb 7, 2023; and May 2, 2023. All meetings will be held via Zoom from 5:00-6:00pm. Zoom invites & agendas for each meeting are sent via email.
Please follow us on Twitter...
Take care & Go Chiefs!
August 31, 2022
Hello Jr/Sr HS Students,
First Day of School… Wednesday, September 7. All students in grades 7-12 will report to their advisory classroom upon arrival at school from 7:40-8:10am. Students will need to pick up a new schedule (same table locations) then proceed to their advisory. We will distribute chromebooks & chargers, student supplies, and agenda planners during advisory. Students will also be asked to watch a presentation from Ms. Was and I regarding school expectations/code of conduct, etc... (about 5 min).
|Period 1||Advisory||Period 2||Period 3||Period 4||Period 5||Period 6A||Lunch 11/12||Period 6B||Lunch 9/10||Period 7||Period 8|
|Grade 7 & 8 Schedule||Advisory||Block 1||Block 2||Lunch 7/8||Block 3||Period 7||Period 8|
August 2, 2022
Hello Jr/Sr HS Families-
Student schedules with be mailed on August 15, please be on the lookout for this letter in the next few weeks.
Also, a reminder regarding the upcoming Fall sports season...
- Parent/Athlete Information Night: August 10 at 6:00pm in the Auditorium.
- Sports Physicals: August 11 and 16, please email Anne Reynolds, Jr/Sr HS Nurse via ReynoldsAnne@southerncayuga.
org to schedule a time.
- Varsity Sports Begin: August 22
- Mod Cross Country and Soccer Begins: August 24
- Mod Swim Begins: August 29
And, a few September event reminders...
- K-12 open house/curriculum night: September 21
- Jr/Sr HS picture day: September 22
- We have partnered with Inter-State Studio/SLR Photo for School Pictures again this year. They will be at our school on the date(s) below to photograph our students and staff.
You may go online to view package options and pre-order your picture packages by going to the link below and use the code. You can pre-order up until noon on Sept 23, 2022, or you can send a check or cash order in with your student on picture day.
Order Code: 70185C
July 8, 2022
Dear Jr/Sr HS Families,
Overall, students were tremendously successful in their courses and on their final exams during the 2021-22 school year. Congrats to all students!
Below, I listed a few important upcoming activities/dates:
- Summer School: July 5 - July 29 (no Fridays)
- Fall Sports Registration: Now - August 12 (questions, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- JV/Varsity Fall Sports Begin: August 22
- Modified Fall Sports Begin: August 24; Swim August August 29
- 2022-23 School Visitation Day: Thursday, September 1 (2:00-4:00pm)
- First Day of School 2022-23: September 7
Finally, I would like to congratulate our newest alumni, the graduates of the SCCS Class of 2022, and wish them the best of luck as they take on their post-secondary plans. As always, please refer to school website (www.southerncayuga.org/) for additional information.
Best wishes for a happy, healthy, and productive summer!
Take Care. Stay Safe. Go Chiefs!
Luke Carnicelli, Principal
Southern Cayuga Jr/Sr High School
As always, if there is anything I can answer or assist with, please do not hesitate to email me at email@example.com. I look forward to working with you and your child this school year.
SC Jr/Sr HS Community Advisory Council (CAC)
Background: A large part of our success at SC Jr/Sr HS is tied directly to home-school communication and parental support of our school mission and initiatives. The CAC is designed to advise the Principal with strategies that the school staff can assist with the home-school connection.
Charge: To support academics at home, To make suggestions for the best ways to communicate with parents, To discuss academic initiatives.
Meetings: The following Tuesdays... Nov 8, 2022; Feb 7, 2023; and May 2, 2023.
All meetings will be held via Zoom from 5:00-6:00p.m. Agendas for each meeting are sent via email.
Mission Statement: The Mission of Southern Cayuga Jr/Sr High School is to create an environment that is conducive to personal and academic excellence.
This will be accomplished by creating a school community that embodies the principles of being: Safe, Respectful, Responsible, and Kind.
Southern Cayuga Jr/Sr High School does not restrict students on the basis of race/ethnicity, religion, physical handicap subject to medical eligibility, or gender.
ACT vs SAT
SCCS Guidance Plan
Schooltool Family Login Guide
Tier 2 Vocab List gr 11/12
Tier 2 Vocab List gr 7/8
Tier 2 Vocab List gr 9/10
CAC Meeting Presentation 12-16-21
CAC Meeting Presentation 3-31-22
Chromebook Handbook Span
ExtraCurr Handbook 22-23
ExtraCurr Handbook 22-23 Span
Jr HS Program Brochure
SCCS Class of 2022 Newsletter
SCCS School Safety Guide
Student Handbook 22-23
Student Handbook 22-23 Span
Supply List 22-23