Emily Howland Elementary
Ms. Boyan Mnahoncak
2384 Route 34B
Aurora, NY 13026
March 23, 2023
UPK Registration Information
Basic eligibility requirements:
- Must be a Southern Cayuga District resident
- Child must be 4 years old by December 1 of the school year
- Applications are due April 30, 2023
- UPK federally funded programs
- Programs are five days a week, 5 ½ hrs per day (8:30 am-2:00 pm), 180-days that follows the District calendar as of now
- Transportation is provided
- Stimulates creativity and self-expression through the creative arts and creative play
- Develops critical thinking skills and social maturity essential for school success
- Offers caring and safe environments
- Encourages pre-reading, pre-math, pre-science and pre-writing skills and concepts that are excellent preparation for kindergarten
- Each classroom has up to 18 students, a certified teacher, a teacher assistant, and a classroom aide
- Students are randomly selected
- UPK eats lunch in the cafeteria, family participation is encouraged
- Free and reduced breakfast/ lunch application is available on our district website
- Specials: music, PE, art, library, Spanish
Does my child need to be independently able to use the bathroom?
- It is highly recommended that your child be independent in toileting.
How will I be notified that my child will be accepted into the Pre-K program?
- Notification letters to all families regarding your child’s classroom in late spring/early summer will be mailed. Classroom placements are randomly determined with consideration to numerous variables, including but not limited to: siblings, income eligibility for federal funding, and previously identified specific needs.
If I fill out a registration packet, is my child guaranteed a spot?
- Students are enrolled on a first-come, first-serve basis. If the number of students enrolled by the end of the registration period exceeds the available openings, students will be placed on a waiting list and will be notified if openings become available.
WE NEED THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION WITH YOUR CHILD’S COMPLETED FORM:
1) Proof of Residence in the SCCS District – you must submit one of the following:
- Lease or Deed – dated and signed
- Mortgage Statement or Tax Bill
- Utility Bill
- NYS Driver’s License, Learner’s Permit or Non-Driver Identification with physical address listed
- Pay Stub dated within the last two weeks showing address
- Auto Insurance Card with address
- Court Orders or Court Issued Documents
- Notarized Landlord Statement
2) Copy of child’s Birth Certificate
3) Custody papers, if applicable
4) Special Education records, if applicable
5) Physical Exam (dated within one year of scheduled school start date)
6) Immunization Record (signed by a physician/clinical staff or NYSIS print out)
- Contact our district registrar for registration information and questions, firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 315-364-7111 x2114
- Seats at each location will be filled through a lottery process.
- Selection will be random.
- In order to be in the selection pool, a fully completed application must be received no later than April 30, 2023.
- Universal Pre-Kindergarten services are expected to start on or around September 7, 2023.
- More information will be provided to you once the selection process is completed.
- The lottery selection will occur in May, 2023.
- Registration information will be provided to selected families by mail following this date.
- For those not selected in the lottery a waitlist letter will be sent.
February 13, 2023
Emily Howland Families,
Emily Howland Library Collaboration Committee
October 3, 2022
Tuesday October 18th - Picture Day for EH students
Please use the information below to pre-order your picture packages. If you have any questions, you may call 585-310-7781 or email Inter-State pictures at email@example.com. Picture orders can be placed online or by completing the physical package that will be sent home with your child on Monday, October 3, 2022. For physical package orders, follow the direction in the package and return the package to school with your child. The package will be delivered directly to the photographer to place your order. Picture retake is December 8, 2022.
September 28, 2022
Please see the following links for information from the NYS Dept of Health regarding protecting against the season flu (English Version) & (Espanol Version).
August 29, 2022
Dear Emily Howland Families:
Welcome to the 2022-2023 school year! I hope you are having an amazing summer! I am so excited to start a fresh school year with all of you! My main priority this school year is to make our staff and students feel welcome, supported and proud! Continuing to build a strong relationship with each parent and guardian is very important to me. Our Emily Howland family will continue to cultivate a positive, respectful and safe learning environment for your child.
At this time, Southern Cayuga is planning for all students to return to school for in person learning everyday. Please review the “Frequently Asked Questions related to COVID-19” and “Parents/Caregivers Should Know about COVID” attachments for recent COVID guidance. If you have questions, please contact our school nurse, Mrs. Hurd. I plan to notify you about school information and about changes through School Messenger.
We will also use our Emily Howland Twitter feed to share some highlights, and celebrations. Here is the link to our Twitter... EH Twitter.
The first day of school for students in grades 1-6 is Wednesday, September 7th (an A day). Grades UPK and K will start on September 8th, with a meet and greet/ orientation on September 7, 2022 anytime between 9:30- 3:00pm. You do not need to make an appointment. Please bring your child’s school supplies for the meet and greet/ orientation and call the Emily Howland main office if you have any questions. We cannot wait to meet you!
This year, you must qualify for free and reduced breakfast/lunch. You may complete and return the Free and Reduced lunch forms to the District Office. The free and reduced form along with your child’s bus plan were mailed home. To support you and your child, we are moving back to two or more pick up and drop off locations for consistent schedules only. If a student is not going to/ from their regular scheduled bus stop, they must be personally transported. Contact our transportation department at, (315) 364-8652 for bus related questions.
Parent drop off will be between 8:30-8:59am, with classes starting promptly at 9:00am. Parent pick up will begin at 3:25pm. Drop off and pick up locations are the same. There will be staff present to assist and greet you! In the first weeks of school we will ask you to update your emergency contact information and sign the Expected Behavior Matrix and as applicable, sign your child’s Chromebook/ Tablet use agreement. These forms will be sent home with your child on the first day of school and can be returned to your child’s classroom teacher.
As a friendly reminder, we will be collecting your child’s summer reading log when they return back to school. We encourage all reading logs, regardless of how much your child reads over the summer. Reading logs can be returned to your child’s classroom teacher. Our Literacy Committee is so excited to celebrate your child’s reading success! SCCS mission statement: Southern Cayuga Central School is committed to every student's intellectual and emotional growth and to promote effective citizenship. We will offer a diversity of curriculum and cultural experiences which meet the individual needs of our students. We encourage self-motivation, self-esteem, and positive values through a school-wide and community effort.
This year we are integrating basic Spanish into each classroom for approximately 20- 30 min. a week during our science and social studies blocks. There will be more information coming soon about our Spanish curriculum and initiative this school year!
We are really hoping to get you involved in your child’s education as much as possible! This year we plan to have four in person CAC (Community Advisory Committee) meetings throughout the school year. We plan to discuss multiple building level events prior to the dates they occur. Your feedback and perspective is invaluable in our planning. Below are details about our CAC meetings for the year. This year, amazing Emily Howland is being inducted into the National Women’s Hall of Fame!
Please click here for the August 31 CAC meeting minutes.
CAC meeting details...
Where: Emily Howland Elementary Library
When: 6-7 pm
Details: We will use the middle doors located near the bus loop to enter the building.
Dates: August 31; November 16; February 8; May 10
Additionally, we plan to hold multiple PTO (Parent Teacher Organization) meetings this year. Again, your voice is very important to us. Stay tuned for more details about our PTO soon. I would also like to invite you to sign up as a volunteer this school year. Please use this Volunteer Application to apply. Whether you like to work behind the scenes (ex: make copies), work with students (ex: read a book in a small group), support an event (ex: career day) or attend a field trip as a chaperone, please complete the application below. A new application needs to be completed and board approved each school year. If you are interested in volunteering but you are unsure about how you can help, I encourage you to reach out to your child’s classroom teacher to see what their needs are. You may also contact our school counselor, Mr. Johnson. There will be multiple in person opportunities for you to get involved and participate in your child's education this year. Some examples include: open house, assemblies, parent-teacher conferences, career day and more!
I look forward to working with you to make your child feel welcome, supported and proud! Let’s gear up for a successful year! If you have any questions, please contact Emily Howland Elementary at (315) 364-7098.
Mrs. Boyan Mnahoncak, Principal
Emily Howland Elementary
EH Library Website
Pk-6 supply lists
CAC Meeting Min 11-16-22
Chromebook Handbook - Eng
Chromebook Handbook - Span
Student Handbook 2022-23
CAC Meeting 2-8-23
EH MTSS Information
EH SEL CAC Presentation Mar2022
February Reading Calendar
Second Step Pacing Guide
SEL Presentation Q & A
Zones of Regulation