Cathy Haight and Kaley Driscoll win Section 4 Awards:
Southern Cayuga CSD Athletic Director Cathy Haight has been awarded the New York State Athletic Administrators Association (NYSAAA) Chapter 4 Athletic Administrator of the Year. Based on criteria outlined by NYSAAA, the award is presented annually to a Chapter Athletic Administrator who has made an outstanding contribution to athletics over the years, and has shown evidence of dedication to athletics through the activities of the NYSAAA. The recipient has also practiced and supported the positive values of "education based athletics" throughout his/her career.
Southern Cayuga CSD Senior Kaley Driscoll has been awarded the New York State Athletic Administrators Association (NYSAAA) Chapter 4 Academic Student ...
SCCS Planetarium Next Show -- March 10, 2020:
Community Planetarium Shows
All are welcome to attend our next planetarium community night. Shows are free to the public on a first come, first serve basis. Seating is limited to 60 people for each show. If you can’t make it on that night, the planetarium will be open on a monthly basis with new shows each month.
School Field Trips
Southern Cayuga Central Schools is pleased to announce that we are currently scheduling school field trips through June 2020. Teachers should send requests to firstname.lastname@example.org . Shows can be arranged for start times between 9:30 -10 am on a daily basis and typically last 40 minutes. Seating is limited to 60 people for each show. At this time there will be no fee for school ...
Thank you to the Southern Cayuga CSC Community for your continued support. All four proposals passed. Thank you for voting!
The results for Tuesday’s SCCS election are as follows.
Proposition #1 School Budget $17,790,648
Proposition # 2 Creation of a Capital Reserve
Proposition # 3 School Vehicles
Proposition #4 Local Libraries
BOE Candidates (3)
Bruce Kopp 246
Matt Bennett 316
Susan Gloss 286
Thank You SCCS Voters
Southern Cayuga CSD Construction Update:
The SCCS Planetarium project is well under way. Initial work within the planetarium focused on the demolition of interior ceilings and the classroom floor, along with the dismantlement of all major mechanical systems. The 2018 voter approved project is on track to be completed by June 2019, several months ahead of schedule. Now that the demolition portion of the project is complete, the installation of the new heating and ventilation systems can proceed, along with the replacement of the ceiling, lights, and floor in the planetarium classroom. The new STEM classroom will host our expanding robotic and computer coding programs in the fall.
In addition, the installation of a new cafeteria floor took place over the recent February break. ...
Southern Cayuga Conversations:
Everyone at the Table -- By Elaine Meyers
Imagine a table with a diverse section of your family or community seated---a political meeting, a club, or a holiday dinner. Now imagine that anyone at the table can present their opinion about a controversial topic without fear of reprimand, offense, or stopping the conversation.
I have been at such a table hosted by the Southern Cayuga FFA team for the last three years. Conversation is governed by rules developed by the National Future Farmers of America. These rules should apply to any discussion of critical issues needing community attention and action.
We respect your ...
Solar Project Update:
Thank you SCCS Community Voters!
On January 15, 2019, SCCS community voters passed a $1.5 million capital project to construct a 749.4kW solar array on our campus by a 180-52 margin. Southern Cayuga CSD will team up with Renovus Solar to construct a three-acre solar array which will meet 45% of the district’s annual electrical need and save the district over $30,000 per year. Click here for the Auburn Citizen article on the vote.
More than 80% of the project cost will be paid through the NYSERDA grant of $337,669 and $877,083 from New York State building aid. The remaining 20% of project costs will be paid using the credits from NYSEG for energy produced on our campus. Therefore, the project will not increase our local debt ...
Jack Mayer Author Visit:
The Anne Frank Tree Project welcomed author Jack Mayer to Southern Cayuga on May 5, 2017, for the annual Anne Frank Tree Project celebration, author visit, and community dinner. Special thanks go to the tree project committee members for organizing this wonderful event. The ceremony began with the presentation of the Difference Maker Awards which acknowledged Cathy and Richard Burns and Jesse Platt for their generous nature and their individual efforts to support others within our community.
Jack Mayer then shared the story of Irene Sendler, an incredible woman who defied the Nazis and saved 2,500 Jewish children by smuggling them out of the Warsaw Ghetto. As a health worker, Irene smuggled the children out ...